Sometimes, stress can be a huge issue in my daily life. Between dealing with school, work, family, a relationship, and friends - things can sometimes get a bit out of control at times. Stress sometimes causes issues that might be insignificant, to become huge issues. Feeling agitated, and overwhelmed definitely puts a damper on my mood, and changes the way I do things. Everyone may experience stressful situations in different ways, therefore, they also cope with stress differently. Whenever things get too hectic for me to handle, there are 6 ways that I try my best to go about dealing with things:
- WRITE: I love writing! Writing is so therapeutic for me. When I was younger, I used to keep a journal to document my thoughts and feelings. I've always loved the feeling that writing gives me; an outlet to express myself and bare 100% of who I am. I hate keeping things bottled in, and my head is too big to hold everything! Therefore, when I become stressed - my notepad or my blog becomes my therapist.
- LISTEN TO MUSIC: Music is so relaxing, comforting, and soothing. Nothing makes me more mellow than listening to my favorite songs,letting loose, and dancing! Music calms whatever tension it is that I have - mind, body and soul. I can just put my earphones in, sit down, and wander off. Music really takes me to another place sometimes. But there's nothing wrong with allowing your imaginations to run wild. Sit back, relax, and let the music take control.
- COOK: I love food; therefore, I also love cooking. I've been cooking since I was about 11-years-old and it has been something that has stuck with me. I enjoy doing it because the whole process somewhat relaxes me. Cooking helps me to focus my attention on the tasks at hand. Therefore, whenever I am feeling stressed, cooking helps to block out whatever it is that is bothering me. Even if it is just for a moment.
- TALK IT OUT: I have never really been a huge talker. I've always been used to saying "I'm fine" or talking about things half-way. However, the older I become, the more open I become with my loved ones. I hate lying about things because that usually makes the situation worse. Lying to cover up another lie is a big NO-NO! I find it easier to just open up and say what it is that's on my mind. The only way to get help is to say what's bothering me. It really makes a heck of a difference!
- TAKE A BATH: After a long day, a bath usually works wonders; during stressful situations - a bath works even better! Laying with my head and shoulders back, candles lit, music playing, a glass of champagne - doesn't that sound so tempting....and relaxing?! Warm water from a bath not only helps to relax a tense body, but the surrounding that is created helps to relax my mind.
- PRAY: Last, but certainly not least - pray. The power of prayer changes things! I am a firm believer in God, and the many wonderful things he does. At the end of the day, he is always just one prayer away. Set aside time to talk to him. He knows each and everything, and even throughout those stressful moments - he's there. Nothing is more reassuring than knowing that no matter what, he is always there to listen without judging.
Simply walk away from stressful situations at all times! Stress not only affects your mood, but can also affect the relationships that you have, and your health. Always look at the brighter side of things, apologize if you make a mistake, forgive someone if they have hurt you, and take control of things. DO NOT BE AROUND PEOPLE OR SITUATIONS THAT AFFECTS YOUR LIFE NEGATIVELY.
There are many things in life that causes stress. However, it is up to you to try your best to remain calm, and positive whenever stressful situations come your way. There is not one particular solution to dealing with stress. As a result, do whatever it is that works to make you feel comfortable, and relaxed; whether it is reading a book, watching a movie, going for a walk, or doing a sport. If taking deep breaths relaxes you, or counting to 10 before you speak works for you, then try it. Life is about laughing, and enjoying the simple things. Do not ever allow anything, or anyone to steal your joy!
What triggers stress in your life? How do YOU cope with stressful situations in your life?